Do you believe in gemstones and their powers? Have you ever derived any mystical change in your life from birthstone jewelry?
Just like numerology and astrology influence our daily lives to an extent, gemology brings in physical healing and spiritual balance to our everyday living. There are numerous gemstones found on this earth and all of them relate to a different interesting folklore. The official birthstone of March: Aquamarine too enjoys a fascinating history and fantastic facts causing March babies to excel and lead peacefully.
Coming from the family of beryl mineral, aquamarines are acknowledged as cousins of emeralds. Though you may be abreast with the basis of aquamarine birthstone, we bring to you some lesser-known but incredible facts and stats about this icy-blue crystal.
· Having the color of the sea, this gemstone is believed to store water within, which cures eye troubles and hiccups.
· To your surprise, aquamarine crystals are sometimes referred as “poor man’s diamonds” as they are quite hard and tough. Relatively cheaper than diamonds, aquamarine jewelry is quite resistant to damage and easy to care and clean.
· Ancient sailors were often seen wearing amulets carved from this ocean-blue stone as it had protective powers that guarded sailors and mermaids against drowning and ferocious disposition of water. Thus, aquamarines led them towards a safe voyage.
· “Santa Maria” is a term well-associated with this gem as it had been the mining location of the highest-quality aqua stones. Santa Maria aquamarines come from Brazil exhibiting a rich sea-blue color. Thus, Brazilian aquamarines are the most renowned and revered.
· It is ingenious to know that thin silver linings of March birthstone were mounted as lenses in eye frames. Such eyeglasses were recommended in order to treat people with short-sightedness.
· According to history, the longest-serving First Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt, received a stunning, bluish-green, 1298-carat aquamarine stone from the Brazilian government in 1936. It was the largest cut stone of its kind at that time, which weighed around 1.3 kilograms and was presented in an art deco style box.
· Creating exquisite rings, earrings and pendants, aquamarine jewelry is an elegant and thoughtful gift for 19th wedding anniversary.
Whether you are lucky to be a March-born or just cherish the color and clarity of the stone especially in the lovely Spring season, think of these alluring facts while making a purchase next time. This information will help you appreciate the beauty of aquamarines more and more.